Dreamers of the Day

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible." -T.E. Lawrence, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Being Known

What matters supremely, therefore, is not, in the last analysis, the fact that I know God, but the larger fact which underlies it--the fact that he knows me. I am graven on the palms of his hands. I am never out of his mind. All my knowledge of him depends on his sustained initiative in knowing me. I know him because he first knew me, and continues to know me. He knows me as a friend, one who loves me; and there is no moment when his eye is off me, or his attention distracted from me, and no moment therefore, when his care falters .
This is momentous knowledge. There is unspeakable comfort--the sort of comfort that energizes, be it said, not enervates--in know that God is constantly taking knowledge of me in love and watching over me for my good...There is certain cause for humility in the thought that he sees all the twisted things about me...There is, however, equally great incentive to worship and love God in the thought that, for some unfathomable reason, he wants me as his friend...We cannot work these thoughts out here, but merely to mention them is enough to show how much it means to know not merely that we know God, but that he knows us.

-J.I. Packer, Knowing God

It brings me comfort as well because He knows me. If I had created God, then it would start with me knowing about God. But I did not. He created me. Thus, He knew me first and in this knowledge of me He confirms my identity and His existence. This causes me to want to know Him in a greater way; to desire His presence...that would entail a desire to follow His Laws and commandments.

10 Comments:

At 7:03 AM, Blogger Jen said...

amazing.....

oh and i love your poem. :)

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger Creth said...

hate to break the concentration... what does "duck" mean?

is this a nickname that we should be calling you?

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Jen said...

It's b/c his middle name was "Donald" so we naturally added duck to it like the cartoon character "Donald Duck"

Yes call him that.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Jen said...

And yes I will admit it....

I am a lover of bread. I am not ashamed. And THANK YOU for finally changing that other title.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Micah said...

Back from the annoying "Donald Duck" conversation :o), thanks for the thoughts and quote this morning. That is an awesome book!!!

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Creth said...

Purdue doesn't stink at football, football just doesn't understand Purdue

and I love trees too

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Creth said...

somehow we always knew C.S. had it all figured out-

"Our assurance is quite different in kind from scientific knowledge. It is born of our personal relation to the other parties; not from knowing things about them but from knowing them."

(with emphasis on 'them')

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Zebrasbark said...

your entry touched my uncertain heart this morning, affirming what I know I know but forget from time to time - the Almighty knows my deepest fears, insecurities, attempts to do His will and still He chose to love me first, despite also knowing how I would deny or ignore this precious fact amidst my struggle as a mortal
thanks for reminding me of who I am again

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I just noticed your comment on my other blog...

Thank you- that picture was taken in Montego Bay, Jamaica. People (not me) were cliff diving off that...cliff.

The future mother in me was very nervous for their safety.

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger Micah said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!! Sorry we're missing our annual get together. I'm going to see what our schedule is like the week before Christmas - maybe I can make it up too. If not, when will you be home again? You need to meet Kathryn before she graduates :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home