Dreamers of the Day

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible." -T.E. Lawrence, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"

Thursday, November 03, 2005

What Sarah Said

And it came to me then that every plan is a tiny prayer to Father time
As I stared at my shoes in the ICU that reeked of piss and 409
And I rationed my breathes as I said to myself that I'd already taken too much today
As each descending peak of the LCD took you a little farther away from me

Amongst the vending machines and year-old magazines in a place where we only say goodbye
It stung like a violent wind that out memories depend on a faulty camera in our minds
But I knew that you were a truth I would rather lose than to have never lain beside at all
And I looked around at all the eyes on the ground as the TV entertained itself

'Cause there's no comfort in the waiting room
Just nervous pacers bracing for bad news
And then the nurse comes round and everyone will lift their heads
But I'm thinking of what Sarah said that "Love is watching someone die"

So who's going to watch you die?...

-What Sarah Said, Death Cab for Cutie

I don't like ICU's as well...

13 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Blogger Creth said...

yikes. wow. thanks for finally getting me to read some of their lyrics

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Jason Mayes said...

Yeah I bought their cd "Plans" and just listened to it a lunch. Interesting. It is real which can be depressing in a way.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Creth said...

okay... word association can be blamed for this but I gotta tell you about another song with a most similar title-

"What Susan Said" by Rich Mullins... great song. read the lyrics, or I'll e-mail them to you...

"Plans" -that's the new one right? I'll have to give that one a listen, anything that's 'real' is worth giving a chance, especially when those are lyrics to one of the songs

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Jason Mayes said...

There is another one that is called "Soul Meets Body" that is REALLY interesting. It goes along with the "My Epistemology" blog I had.

I don't think I remember that Rick song....

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Creth said...

...and I've got to buy that album...

just read the lyrics to "Soul Meets Body" -WOW

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Creth said...

and Rick Mullins never wrote anything worth remembering... guess that's what happens when Rich get's all of the good writing genes

and jeans

he loved his writing jeans.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Jason-

I’m always surprised by what you've got on the ‘turn-table’. I never would have guessed you a Death Cab fan…

I’ve never really listened to their work- but, wow- what lyrics…

“It stung like a violent wind that our memories depend on a faulty camera in our minds”

wow.

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

oh and I totally didn't catch the 'Rick' thing.

It took me several reads to understand what Creth was talking about.

AND

I wish I had some writing jeans.

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

one more thing: your blog is set to Hawaii time, or something.

It is not 9:43.

Geez-louise.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

(In case anyone is curious)

What Sarah Said: "Love is watching someone die"

What Susan Said: "Love is found in the things we've given up, more than in the things that we have kept"

Interesting.

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger Jason Mayes said...

Emily-

Yeah I meant Rich instead of Rick. That "K" key always jumps out at me.

My mind in Hawaii eventhough I've never been. Maybe I should change it to Ethiopian time.

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Jen said...

wow...very true, very true

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Jen said...

wow...very true, very true

 

Post a Comment

<< Home