Dreamers of the Day

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible." -T.E. Lawrence, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"

Monday, October 24, 2005

Question

This past Sunday I attended a Unitarian Church with my friend Joshua. The reason being was to hear Dr. John Dominic Crossan. Dr. Crossan is the co-chair for the Jesus Seminar, a new movement in theological circles to thwart the facts of the Bible through textual criticism. He is one of the leading liberal theologians of our day. Dr. Crossan, in a one hour symposium, reconciled the Old Testament and the New Testament in a way I am still pondering. He ended it with this:

"Justice without love is brutality. Love without justice is banality."

What are your thoughts?

6 Comments:

At 6:06 AM, Blogger Creth said...

okay, I'm just going to come out and say it-

I think I agree with his closing statement

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger Jason Mayes said...

Yeah, I think I may as well. It is humbling to think that a person who doesn't know Christ personally can summarize the Old and New Testaments so succintly.

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Ok for me the first part I can agree with, the second part I am still chewing on. First I had to look up the meaning of "banality" which could also mean "dullness", "predictability", or "triteness". So is another way to phrase it, if you love someone, and in order to keep that love alive and vibrant, you will deal honestly with that person(which can hurt sometimes, i.e. speak the truth in love)??? Am I off????

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Creth said...

ha! honestly I thought I was crazy for "maybe" agreeing with someone who by all "standards" does not know my living Saviour.

(not to be demeaing or rude but...)
from the mouth of a donkey... right?

(inferring that He will and can use ANYTHING to speak His truth)
instruments are good and bad, but the musician makes them great.

...and I think that Jen's conclusion on this dude's conclusion is right... ha, and "hi" Jen, I just realized that you are a "J-Mayes"

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Yes I bear the branding of "Mayes" which means that unfortunately I have to claim Jason as my brother. We all have our trials and tribulations.....

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Creth said...

(listen to this)

I actually LIKE this Jason fellow... I mean sure he's weird and has the StRANGesT accent in America (North America, well... the United States of America) but he's a pretty great guy

(as for his brothering skills... I have NO CLUE)

~

and to make a correction to an earlier comment-

instruments can be REALLY NICE or pretty crappy, but that can't make a bad musician any better... only a GREAT musician can play beautiful music from any instrument

 

Post a Comment

<< Home