Dreamers of the Day

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible." -T.E. Lawrence, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"

Friday, August 12, 2005

It's Funny How We Think

It is funny how we Christians think. “I don’t drink,” “I don’t smoke”, “I don’t engage in homosexuality or premarital sex.” In sharing the gospel, we share the Roman Road and what we must do to become a Christian. We share to non-believers what sacrifice we go through in order to “enter the kingdom of heaven.” In our theology circles, we form new doctrines around who we are not instead of who we are. We immerse ourselves in our culture in order to block out the world. In this new form of monasticism, we read Christian literature, memorize scripture, sing songs, listen to songs and messages on the radios to consume our minds. However, what happens when we get away from these. What happens when we stop doing this task oriented with our senses? Was Jesus “tasked oriented” or moved by the Spirit of God? Was He not the One who seemed to be lawless in the eyes of the law makers?

Many Christians will say, “Don’t ever do that! You must press on and bite the bullet, but continue to do these tasks.” However, if God was the true, living God, would He be outside of our minds as well? Would he not aver His existence through the world that He created? What happens when we “walk away from Him,” and do the abnormal? As I strive in this arduous walk, there is one thing I am certain about: My God is great. He cannot be contained in the world that we live in, He cannot be captured by human imagination. As Sarah Groves states in her song, “I’m confined by my senses, to really know what you are like. You are more than I can fathom, and more than I can guess and more than I can see with human sight.” What sets Christianity apart from the rest of the religions? What makes Christianity different from other practices and beliefs? Is there more to our walk than the duties of going to church, singing songs, saying prayers and reading our Bibles?
It comes down to one thing-Who is your God. Can He truly be known by us capricious creatures? Can we have fellowship with Him? Why do we need Him? I have learned that I live for purpose. I have learned that I desire to know myself and investigate who I am constantly. In this never-ending quest, I have worn myself out. It is at the point of exhaustion that I have discovered what has always existed-identity is given to us, not created by us. I cannot know why or what I am doing until I know Jesus Christ, the One who has given me my identity. Do I know where I am going? No. Do I know what I will be doing in five years? Ha, yeah right. However, I have a peace that passes all understanding that my God knows, and He loves me. It is in this truth that I am able to live with myself and enjoy this space in time called life.
Are you packing your senses full of Christanity that you have forgotten the senses are temporal? Have you plowed through the Christian life in the obedience of the doctrines of scriptures only to find you have no idea who you are? Have you forgotten the Spirit of God? We do not need another “perfect Christian” in this world. We need people who hold to the essence of the Spirit of God. Do not brainwash yourselves anymore, but allow your Spirit to enjoy the presence of the most High God. For it is in Him we live and move and have our being.

2 Comments:

At 8:16 AM, Blogger amy said...

I always go back to that..."Who is your God?" Being immersed in the Musl!m culture, we quickly learned that what sets us apart from the rest of the world...from all the other religions..."we have a personal relationship with our God." No one else does - they can't even fathom it. I should be more thankful...more passionate.

Sharing your sentiments...adg

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love this line:

"...identity is given to us, not created by us."

That's definitely something that I need a constant reminder of...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home