Dreamers of the Day

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible." -T.E. Lawrence, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Life

What is life? This word alone provides a certain amount of energy. In all the songs I have listened to, there is nothing pondered more than life itself. One song that comes to mind is John Lennon’s Instant Karma. One of the verses in the song says this:

Why in the world are we here
Surely not to live in pain and fear
Why on earth are you there

Life is constantly on my mind. When defining it, my initial reaction is, “Well, I woke up today, went to work, stared at a machine all day, talk with co-workers, ate lunch….yada, yada, yada.” One of the definitions of life in Webster’s dictionary is “the sequence of physical and mental experiences that make up the existence of an individual.” Life can be defined by what you experience. Each of us has a different life we live because of the experiences we have encountered.
It’s funny how I view life. Like a game, a plot to a play or a symphony masterpiece, I orchestrate my experiences to my benefit. The choices I make amaze me and how I make them. Seldom do I think of the purpose of why I am making them to begin with, I make decisions mostly on how I feel, how they will help me and what will I gain. Choosing a restaurant is a quick decision for me, but I seldom think of why I need to eat in the first place. I simply want to satisfy my own desires, my own craving. My life is so packed with decisions that I easily am deceived into thinking I am in control.
Then I thought of how I entered this life in the first place. I had no choice whatsoever in the matter. In fact, I had to share the cramped space in my mother’s body with my twin brother who beat me out by thirty minutes. I did not choose to come out. I did not choose to live. I did not choose my own life. I was born into a family and in an American house. I am not ungrateful, but astonished. The beginning of my life had nothing to do with me and thus the end of it will be the same. We have no control whatsoever of our beginning and end.
Yet in the middle of birth and death, somehow in someway, I deceive myself into thinking this life is mine—that I am in control. I came into the world helpless and without control and I will leave in the same manner. Yes, I am given a mind, intellect and brain to make decisions. I am given a spirit and soul to respond to the spiritual world. I am given my emotions, my incredible humor, good looks, smarts and large muscles. But I was still given these--I did not choose them myself.
What have I earned myself? Why am I alive? Why am I here? As Lennon wrote, “Why in the world are we here?” I cannot answer this for each of you, but I know who can. You did not spontaneously combust into a being after your choosing. You were created. You did not choose to start living on your own, but were given life, breath and a heart beat. “It is He who has made us and not we ourselves.” It is God who created you not for purposelessness, but for a purpose. He does not forget us, ignore us or forsake those who love Him. The One who has created you, loves you for who you are, not who you try to be. He knows everything about you, like any creator, but still loves you.
Why are you alive? Have you consumed yourself with all the actions in life that you forget the meaning? Do you forget that in this fleeting moment called life, you are not in control? Do you forget who placed you here to begin with? We are first called to God; to love Him with all of our heart, soul, mind and strength. We are called to love Him with our lives. Do not forget that. It will give you true meaning, true life and keep you from your own self.
No guilt in life, no fear in deathThis is the power of Christ in meFrom life's first cry to final breathJesus commands my destinyNo power of hell, no scheme of manCan ever pluck me from His handTil He returns or calls me homeHere in the power of Christ I'll stand

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home