Dreamers of the Day

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible." -T.E. Lawrence, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Thoughts

“Some might say that we should never ponder
On our thoughts today cos they will sway over time”
-Oasis, Some Might Say

In Dallas Texas people love to eat. The center of fine dining in the south, Dallas has more restaurants per square mile than any other city in America. With fine dining comes a fine taste of food and eating like none other. My bland, Mid-west taste-buds were set free and have experience food that I had never had before like Jalapenos and Ethiopian food as well as true bar-b-que and steak.
College foot ball is also huge in Dallas. Whether it is Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech or Baylor, each alumni of the school are die hard fans and will fight, literally, for their respected schools. I had never watched so much football until I moved to Texas. Football is a religion.
Food connoisseurs and college football experts do not gain their reputation by simply stating they are experts in their field—they must know what they are talking about. One seldom states that he or she is an expert and then begins to gain knowledge in the area they are an “expert” in. Unless you are flirting or George Kastanza, after time people can tell you are lying and that you are not who you say you are.
How does one become a food connoisseur or college football expert? Experience, time and knowledge all entail the identity of experts, but it starts with a thought. Fine diners will say, “I love the taste of this steak”, or “I love the smell of the Jasmine on the out-door patio.” College football fans will say “Such and such team was the greatest team ever,” or “that was the longest pass in history.” They are thinking of their passions constantly.
A collection of thoughts makes an idea. If we travel a line of thinking for so long, this will transition into an idea or belief. The belief that Indiana is a great state is preceded by several great thoughts about the state. A thought is the birth of an idea and an idea is the birth of an action.
Actions are the result of an _expression of an idea. Words are the most common action of ideas and the way they are expressed in its purest form. If I never speak what is on my mind, or what I am thinking about, my thoughts are worthless. We were created to communicate and the better we communicate, the more impact we can have. Orators, excellent communicators and singers are powerful because of this created gift.
In saying all of this, the power of a thought is incredible. God says that His thoughts toward us are like the sand on the seashore. He is constantly thinking of us and His thoughts sustain life. Those who we have labeled as “Great Men and Women of Faith” did not begin greatness at birth, but started to think thoughts of God. These people thought of God. As my brother quoted the other day one of the greatest Philosophers of time Renee Descartes: “I think therefore I am,” this holds some truth. Our thoughts reveal who we are, who we are trying to be, and where we have come from.
In this world of constant brain interaction through TV, movies, web sites, bill boards and advertisements of many sorts, our mind can be fixed on many different thoughts. “How am I going to meet this need?” “Who loves me?” “What will I be doing to have fun?” “Why is this person not getting out of my way?” These thoughts are continuously occupying my mind as I live this life watching out for the greatest being that ever lived—myself. I consume myself with thoughts about me and meeting my needs. I am a “Self Connoisseur” or a “Self Expert.”
Yet, in this consumption of “me” thoughts, I find no hope, no peace and no joy. I form ideas that I can’t get what I want, my needs will never be met and the accumulation of money, knowledge and hygiene products may cause people to like me more. These ideas lead to actions of selfishness, pride and pure sin that I struggle with. The thoughts I have can change my attitude as well as my passions. They can change me.
Where are your thoughts? Are they toward the One who has given you everything you will ever need? Are they toward the One who loves you unconditionally and without any strings attached? Are they toward the One who has laid down His life for you that you may be free to think whichever thought you wish, but still enjoy eternal life? You can do nothing, but God still is thinking toward you. Ponder you thoughts and what they are towards. Think about your thoughts and you will see where your heart is.

2 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Blogger Creth said...

BLOG AGAIN!

it has been too long since your last... tell me about life as a tree, I'd write on the subject but I don't know enough... you on the other hand know plenty. What do I have in common with a tree?

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You have a point. We do live in a "me" world. Reminds me of the line from "The Princess Diaries" --- 'and then I thought about how much I use the word I'

keep blogging on...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home