Dreamers of the Day

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible." -T.E. Lawrence, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"

Friday, August 11, 2006

Life

My view of life and what is it supposed to be always surprises me. Many times I find myself saying, "If only I could be at this point in my life, then I could really begin to live." I long for distance places when life is happening at the very place I am at. I box in my definition of life with certain adjectives such as "fun, exciting, powerful and glorious" and yet those "fun, exciting, powerful and glorious" moments are far and few between. Life is not an emotion or feeling, but a symphony of the material and immaterial. I am truly alive not when I am feeling certain things, but when my material and immaterial parts are connected...which happens when I can accept where I am at, not where I want to be...

4 Comments:

At 9:30 PM, Blogger Trey said...

I understand where you're coming from. For me, I think it stems from this grandiose vision of what I think "God's purpose" should look like, from my perspective. When I'm at my most in-tune with God's will, things should visibly be magical and amazing all around me. And, that fallacious idea is a function of being out-of-tune with God's will, ironically enough.

Because we can't fully know what God's purpose is, we also can't fully know what the fulfillment of God's purpose would look like to our eyes.

Conveniently, that's when faith steps in, giving us the peace to say definitively that God's will IS being fulfilled all around us, even though we can't see it. It's that mindset that helps me sync up my material existence and my immaterial existence.

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger cr said...

Hahahaha! I can't read that post without laughing. Sometimes, Jason, you are even TOO YOU for your own good. But I understand what you're saying here.

See ya when you get back from PR, dude. Hope the trip was great.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Micah said...

Hey you!! Good to hear from you! So, Puerto Rico, huh? Sounds awesome!! You guys deserved that. Oh, and watch the fat comments ;o). We need to know when/if you and Jen are going home soon... maybe sometime Thanksgiving/Christmas and would have time to meet up! Maybe we could coordinate! #2 should be here any time now! Please be praying for us!

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger Trey said...

Now, I know, firsthand, that you have had a whole heap of exciting stuff that's happened since August 11. I think it would be great if you shared your excitement, your thoughts, your concerns, etc. with the blogosphere. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home