Dreamers of the Day

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible." -T.E. Lawrence, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

A Proverb

Trust in the Lord with all your heart...(The two words that are important here are “trust” and “heart.” The hardest thing for my heart to do is trust. I like to trust with my knowledge or “mind”, or trust in my ability and body, but my heart is the hardest to trust with. Why? I think it is because it is the most deceiving thing I have. It is the thing I can hide from everyone else. Yet, in this passage, Yahweh is asking His servant to completely expose the heart and trust Him with everything—even the hidden corners.)…and lean not on your own understanding…(To lean is to be supported by that which is leaned on—in this case, one’s mind. Therefore, knowledge is limited as well as wisdom. They both are extremely important in humanity and our relationship with God, but they are limited. Solomon sought wisdom and got it, but lost his relationship with God in the process. If knowledge is the goal, then heaven will be a disappointing place.)…in all your ways acknowledge Him…(Can this really happen? It seems a little overboard if I am to acknowledge Him in everything I do. What is He really requiring? The duty of the Christian is not to display God Himself, but the handiwork of God. God is seen in me, I do not become god. This is very important. It is not my duty to be God, but to let Him out. This is in sinning as well. I am not acknowledging He is a sinful, wicked God, but in my sin and then repentance, I am expressing that He is a merciful, gracious God. When I ponder my ways and why I am doing what I am doing, I automatically acknowledge Him because He is not dead, He is alive.)…and He will make your ways straight…(This is the most accurate translation of this part of the text. When roads are designed, if the designer wants people to feel comfortable and confident, straight roads are built. However, this day-in-age, people tend to drive very fast on straight, open roads. Why…Because they can see everything coming. Modern designers now will build curves into the roads even if it costs more money so people will not go so fast as to kill others. A straight road is easy to see in physical world, but the older I get, the more I realize that is not the case in life. My road has had so many turns that I have no idea where it is going…and this is where this verse comforts me. I will not make my paths straight, but He will. I must choose to be on the path.

3 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Excellent. I needed to hear this today. I tend to trust in myself, I tend to lean on my own understanding ...you get the picture. It's all about "ME" solving the problems and figuring things out.

Trust.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger cr said...

Wow, Jason. This was a really nice exposition on a great passage. Thanks for taking the time to write something personal and "real," I guess you might call it. It was refreshing for me to see your thought processes and consider them myself. Really a very nice post.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Trey said...

I enjoyed that one very much, Mr. Mayes.

Jason, I don't know if you realize it, but that blog post connects to the reader so much better than your posts that are written in a more "scholarly" tone. I'm sure you have different purposes for your different writing styles, but I particularly like this approach, because it's so relatable. It shows that you still have questions you ponder, while at the same time sharing insight with others.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home